Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 6: Jeffery's Bay

This place is awesome. Purely awesome. I loved Jeffery's Bay so much. Our hostel was right on the ocean.

We woke up at the hostel in Port Elizabeth called 99 Miles, which looked like a house that MTV's Real World would use, had a quick peanut butter on toast breakfast and some coffee, hopped on the BAZ Bus and were on our way to heaven on earth (Island Vibe).

We arrived about 8:00am, checked in and booked our surf lesson for the day. All of us gained a huge respect for surfing after it. It was tough and tiring, but we had a blast. We all got up on the board and had at least one smooth ride. Our instructor was cool as well.

After our surf lesson we went into town and had lunch with Brad, a friend of a friend of Mark's. We all had a Portuguese chicken sandwich at Nina's, which was awesome. Brad is a cool guy with a passion to teach skateboarders about Christ. It was a good talk and a good meal.

Right after lunch we went to the Element skatepark in town. The skatepark is on a roof! This was a really fun skate session. During it, I wondered why I stopped skateboarding. Mark told me I was stupid for doing so. I fell so many times trying to land this one trick. My body is pretty mad at me. I then realized why I stopped skateboarding. We got some good filming done and played a game of skate with a new friend of ours named Skittles to end the session.

Back story to Skittles' name: He came to South Africa in January from California to do an internship with Christian Skaters (the organization Brad works for). While here, he had the cream soda called Spar-Letta. It's green. He said that it tasted like candy. So his friend named him Skittles. The funny part is he didn't know that he had been given the nickname for two months. He also didn't even say that the cream soda tasted like candy, he just agreed with someone.

We then went shopping at the outlets and found no good deals.

We headed back to Island Vibe, made some tea, and walked to the beach from the back of the hostel. The three of us talked and laughed. This trip is amazing.

Soon we were hungry again and went to order some pizza from the restaurant at the hostel. The pizza cook was missing so we decided to order our own. We found a place that gives you a free pizza of equal or lesser value when you order one. The menu had some awesome pizza choices and the decision was easy; the Seafood Supreme (shrimp, calamari, mussels, and cheese) and the El Supreme (peppers, onions, avocado, feta cheese, and maybe some other stuff).

While ordering pizza, other people in the hostel found out about the deal we got and joined in. The people there were very nice and we all became friends very quickly. We shared food, stories, would-you-rathers, had debates, and laughed a lot.

The night ended with Kyle and I streaking across the beach. We couldn't be at the bottom of Africa and not do it. "Our bottoms met. Our bottoms to Africa's bottom." -Kyle

P.S. I got 99 miles but a beach ain't one.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! A post! You have NO IDEA how this post relieves me...I'll explain when you get home! :o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard a mother so thrilled to hear the news of her son streaking in Africa! Love ya, moms. -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been so thrilled to hear you are "streaking in Africa"!!!...but now that you're ok?...Get your pants on, Kyle!!! - Mom

      Delete
    2. I love this comment Susan!!!! I feel exactly the same way.

      Delete
    3. Since Mark wasn't reported in this part of the adventure I'll let the other moms handle this one. :o) It's kind of like like that sermon example preachers use, "Dear Mom, I'm pregnant. Now that you've read that line, I'm not really, but I did get a D in biology." In this case of wandering travelers, "You're ALIVE!!!!"... you did WHAT?!??!?!?!

      Delete
    4. I'm sure the sharks were very sad the did not meet you guys! lol sounds like a great trip.
      tata ka Mark

      Delete
  3. So glad you all are loving S'Africa... how can one not love it?!?!?! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete